Friday 30 August 2013

Cake Determines Gender?


This summer our family has been introduced to a new kind of party; the "Gender Reveal" party.  For people who are not aware, this is a new trend in which a pregnant couple, who are planning to learn the gender of their child prior to delivery, have a party and learn the gender at the same time as their guests. 

We have attended two gender reveal parties this summer and our children came along to both for a backyard afternoon style affair.  Upon entry to both parties guest were encouraged to choose what they thought, boy or girl, and either wear their choice or cast a vote.  Of course our girls hoped for girls both times.  At both of these parties the soon to be mom & dad learned if they were having a boy or a girl from cutting into a cake and discovering pink (at one it was actually yellow as it went with the girl décor better) or blue.

At one party our girls' wish came true and the inside of the cake indicated it was a baby girl inside the soon to be mommy's tummy.  They were elated and felt as though they had won something for being right.  At the other party the baby was determined to be a boy and this is when the questions started.

A few months back I learned that I was going to be an aunt and I couldn't have been more elated by the news.  Soon after, the mommy to be asked me if I had told my girls that they were going to have a new cousin to which I replied, "no, I assumed you didn't want everyone in the world to know".  Not taking my head seriously the mommy to be laughed and shared the news with my little ones. 

After that my oldest went around sharing this with everyone she spoke to
"My baby (referring to her little sister) is getting too big.  So they are growing me a new one, but I have to wait until Christmas to see it".
As her mother I was given some sideways looks and some congratulations until I could explain that I was not expecting but instead her aunt.  Thankfully now the news is out and those awkward moments have passed; however, the gender reveal parties have struck a whole new kind of awkward.

I believe being incorrect on the baby's gender sent her to a very thought provoking place and she asked my husband "how does the baby get out of the tummy"?  My husband side stepped around this question and gave me a heads up that I would be handling that one. 

After some consideration I decided I would just answer the question directly and not make it a very big deal.  A few days later she came and asked me the same question "how does the baby get out of the tummy"?  I looked at her and said very casually "well women's private parts are called their vagina and that is where the baby comes out".  She looked strangely at me and said "oh mommy that's so silly", and walked away.  At this point I kind of thought we were in the clear until a couple more days passed.

Now this is our four year olds new favourite game.  First she stuffs a baby doll up her shirt and says "I have a baby in my tummy", followed by "oh, it's coming out of my privates" and finally "now I have to cut the cake and see what it is; it's a girl"!


Hopefully this game ends before school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment