Friday 23 August 2013

Ignorance is Bliss

Ignorance is bliss.  The longer I have been a mother the more I understand how true this statement is.  I believe that I am not alone in my choice to often ignore what is happening around me.  I am a firm believer in letting things happen and often utter the phrase "just work it out girls".

I am now able to turn a blind eye to many situations I never thought possible.  Sometimes I just sit back and watch the scene unfold.  The other day my oldest was in the yard playing.  I could clearly see she had to use the facilities as she sat on the ground rocking, looking somewhat like a dog with worms.  I hollered out to her "time for a bathroom break" to which she replied "I don't have to".  A few minutes later as my husband and I watched out the window, she dropped trousers and squatted in the grass in the back yard.  My husband and I looked at each other and started laughing.

There are times when I take the looking the other direction approach just a little too far.  While trying to unload the dishwasher and get dinner started, I willingly ignored the other room because it was silent (never a good sign with little ones in the house).  I later walked into the other room to find stream on the living room floor created by the little ones with both my girls sitting beside it pretending to be at the beach.  In this instance, my choice to embrace the silence and try and frantically get some things put away created a lot more work! 

Other times, I holler over my shoulder without even looking to just work it out because I do not want to be judge and jury yet again and decide who had what toy first.  This situation is a 50/50 split; sometimes they figure it out and sometimes someone walks away crying. 

This ability to choose to ignore situations is a skill that I did not posses pre children.    Pre children I was a crazy control freak and referred to myself as "passionate" because I had an opinion about everything.  Now I refer to my youngest as "passionate" and am getting much better at going with the flow.



I guess with chaos also comes calm. I perceived my life was much busier and more important than it was.   Don't get me wrong, I can still tap into my emotions and be as crazy as ever; it just is slightly more infrequent because I am too busy cleaning up various liquids my children have spilt all over the floor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment