Friday 18 October 2013

Reasons for Ratings

We are fairly avid car travellers in our house.  I have mentioned in the past how we definitely have our fair share of car trips.  Because of this I am always on the lookout for inexpensive movies to add to our collection.  This is how I first discovered the $5.00 movie bin at Wal-mart.

Each time I walk by the bin I do a quick sift to see if there are any children's movie's I can grab to watch in the car.  I have been doing this for some time now.  Sometimes we have hits and other times we have very big misses.  We have been subject to watching the "Pebble and the Penguin" movie for days on end; it doesn't have the greatest animation or story line.  For some odd reason my 2nd child's favourite movie at about 18 months was "The Cat in the Hat"; not the cartoon but the one staring Mike Myers (probably not appropriate).  I think I actually bought "The Cat in the Hat" three times from the bin as it kept getting scratched.

Looking back I believe it was one of the first times that I ever perused the $5.00 bin that I learned by biggest $5.00 bin lesson.  I had grabbed out a couple of children's movies and through them in my cart.  My oldest was just under two at the time and I had purchased "The Pebble and the Penguin" as well as "Coraline" for her to enjoy; both of these were movies I had never seen but appeared to be child friendly by the cover.

We got home and my husband went into work for the night and so I decided to turn on one of our new movies.  I threw "Coraline" into the DVD player and pressed play.  I was tidying things in the other room and dealing with my second child who was an infant at the time when I heard strange noises coming from the TV.  I walked back into the living room to find a somewhat horror type film playing on our TV.  I quickly turned it off.  Later that night after putting both of my girls to bed I finished watching the move and realized that it was definitely not a movie intended for small children.

The basic story line is a little girl feels neglected by her current family.  She finds a passage into another, alternate world with a new family.  Despite warnings from others she continues to visit this other world until she learns that the "other mother" is evil wants to sew buttons on her eyes and turn her into a ghost child.  Then there is a fight between the girl and the evil other mother and the little girl wins.  After this she learns to appreciate her regular life.  This is clearly, not a kid's movie.

I had kind of forgotten about the whole ordeal and by the weekend we were off on another car trip to visit the zoo.  My husband popped in a DVD for my oldest and attached the player to the back of the head rest.  Not far into the trip and turned around to ask my daughter how the penguin movie was.  I had thought he had put in the much loved "Happy Feet" and noticed she had a strange look on her face.  I looked at her and said "What's wrong, you love the penguin movie?"  To this my husband replied "oh, no I put that new Coraline one on".   I then asked my daughter if she wanted it off and with wide eyes and a horrified face she nodded yes.


And this is when I learned to not judge a movie by its cover and always read the rating first.

No comments:

Post a Comment